9 years of teaching is long enough to see all the horrible things parents do to their children and some of the wonderful things parents do for the kids. As I think back through these past 9 years, I'm going to write down some of the good and bad things I've seen happen and make a special promise to our baby to try not to do these bad things. Friends and family: please feel free to add to this list!!! This will be a fun working document. :) I'm interested to see what you have seen and what advice you have to give! :) BTW...seriously: these are all lessons I learned from listening to my students tell me about their home life.
BAD BAD BAD:
1. I will not make my child feel like they cannot talk to me; force him/her to go into therapy; and then berate him/her about it.
2. I will not make my child wait at school alone for a ride because I am too busy to come get him/her.
3. I will not be THAT parent that blindly accepts my childs version of the truth over the teacher, while at the same time: I will not allow a teacher to treat him/her with disrespect.
4. I will not miss his/her concert's/games/awards ceremonies/any event because I have to work.
5. I will not bribe my child into good behavior or good grades with materialistic items and then take them away when they displease me.
6. I will not overlook one single speeding ticket; I will not blow it off as a one time offense; I will not let it pass without serious education about the impact of reckless driving.
7. I will not spend his/her college fund on a trip abroad and tell him/her that it was "my money" anyway and then kick him/her out of the house after graduating from high school.
Great idea:
1. I will help our child see both points of views of difficult situations, argue both sides, and teach him/her how to come to a good decision.
2. I will help our child understand that everyone makes mistakes, what's most important is the lesson learned.
3. I will be active in of our child's activities and school, even when he/she doesn't want me around...while still letting him/her have their individual freedom.
4. I will teach our child to appreciate those around him/her that do nice things for them.
5. I will teach our child that even though they have a driver's license...the do not need a Camaro to get from place to place.
16 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment